Organization : Iowa State Fair
Competition Name : Youth Livestock Judging Contest
Applicable For : Junior and a Senior age division
Country : United States of America
Competition Deadline : August 14 2016
Youth Livestock Judging Contest :
Sunday, August 14
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. Registration
Related : Wisconsin State Fair Fiddle Contest USA : www.contestdate.com/wisconsin-fair-fiddle-usa
5:00 p.m. Judging Contest
7:30 p.m. Livestock Judging Awards Program
Entry Fee – $40 per team; $10 per individual (does not include Fair admission)
1. General Livestock Rules and Regulations and 4-H and FFA General Rules and Regulations apply in this department.
2. Contest entry should be made day of contest.
3. All contestants must be present at 4:50 p.m. for additional instructions, so that the contest can begin promptly at 5:00 p.m.
4. There will be a Junior and a Senior age division. Seniors are those contestants who completed grades 9-12 during the 2015-2016 school year.
Junior contestants are those who completed grades 4-8 during the 2015-2016 school year.
5. Any youth who has completed a post-secondary course related to livestock and/or carcass evaluation is ineligible to compete in this contest.In addition, any 4-H member that has participated in any post-secondary (university, college, junior college or technical school) competitive event of a similar nature and in the same subject matter is ineligible to compete in this contest.
6. Teams will consist of 4 members. The overall team score shall be determined by totaling the top three scores of the four team members.
** All contestants are eligible for individual awards. Counties can enter more than one team in both the Junior and Senior Divisions of the contest.
** Individuals from different counties can compete as a team provided permission is obtained from the contest superintendent prior to July 15 and provided that their county does not have sufficient numbers to enter a county team.
7. All electronic devices (cell phones, pagers, PDA’s, calculators, etc.) are prohibited.
** Please advise your contestants to remove these devices prior to the start of the contest.
** If a contestant’s phone should ring, or if they are discovered using such electronic devices during the contest, the contestant and their team may be disqualified.
8. Contestants may not leave once the contest has started unless permission is given by the contest superintendent.
9. While the contest is in progress, there shall be no talking or any other type of communication between contestants or coaches. If a contestant has a question once the contest begins, please direct that question to the assigned group leader or the contest chairperson.
10. Contestants will be divided into groups for the contest and will remain with their assigned group throughout the contest and the delivery of oral reasons.
11. The contest will be comprised of six (6) classes of livestock. Of these six classes, two will be beef, two will be swine, and two will be sheep. All classes will be comprised of four animals, and the animals will be designated with numbers 1-2-3-4.
12. Juniors will asked a set of questions on two classes. Seniors will give oral reasons on two classes. Contestants are not permitted to use notes while giving oral reasons.
13. Upon conclusion of judging each class, contestants will be asked to turn cards in to their group leader. Cards are to be turned in “face down”. Any blank or double-marked cards will receive a zero.
Contact Us :
Iowa State Fair
P.O. Box 57130
Des Moines, IA 50317-0003
Phone: (515) 262-3111 ext. 246; E-mail: ffa AT iowastatefair.org