Organization : Mitchell County Fair
Competition Name : 8th Annual Mitchell County Fair Barbeque Competition
Country : United States of America
Competition Deadline : August 5-6, 2016
8th Annual Barbeque Competition Mitchell County Fair Contest :
** Registration will begin Friday, August 5th at noon.
** All contestants need to be in place by 9pm on August 5th.
Related : Benton County Fair Cupcake And Cake Pops Contest USA :
** Cooks meeting will be held at August 5th at 7pm.
** Contest limited to the first 12 teams.
** Friday night quiet time begins at 11pm.
** Competition meats will be provided (excluding the “anything butt” category).
Contest Categories :
** Contestants must cook 4 main categories to be eligible for grand champion. $20/category
** Chicken – Ribs – Pork Shoulder – Brisket
** Electricity is available but may be limited. Generators are allowed.
** Turn ins will begin at 11:30 Saturday, August 6th.
** Turn in order is defined in contest rules.
** Competition meats will be distributed beginning at 5:00pm on Friday, August 5th or upon arrival at contest.
** 100% payout. Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in all categories and Grand Champion.
Mail entry form and entry fee to :
Mitchell County BBQ
603 Maple Street
Osage, IA 50461
Jason Wagner’s cell number: 641-512-0619
Jason Wagner’s email: jasonpro0619 AT gmail.com
BBQ Rules :
1. Cooking fires shall be of wood, wood pellet or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources are not permitted.
2. Competition meats will be provided for 4 main categories: Chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket.
3. Judging will start at 11:30 AM on Saturday. Categories will be judged in the following order:
** Anything Butt – 11:30
** Chicken – 12:00
** Ribs – 12:30
** Pork Shoulder – 1:00
** Brisket – 1:30
4. Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley, curly green kale and/or cilantro. Prohibited garnish will receive a penalty score of 1 on appearance.
5. Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to the meat and not pooled or puddled in the container. No side sauce containers are permitted in the turn in container. Sauce violations will receive a penalty score of 1 on appearance.
6. Entries will be submitted in numbered container provided by contest. The container shall not be marked in any way to make it identifiable. Marked containers will receive a score of 1 on all criteria and disqualified.
7. Each contestant must submit at least 6 portions of meat in numbered container. Any judge not receiving a sample will score a 1 on all criteria and remaining judges will give appearance score of 1.
8. Judging will be done by a table of 6 judges. The low score will be thrown out. Entries will be scored on appearance, taste, and tenderness.
9. Contestants must cook 4 main categories to be eligible for grand champion.